Photo courtesy of Stephanie.
With Christmas just a week away, it's time to start thinking ahead to 2014. There are tons of fun events going on all around the Austin area to ring in the New Year. Start the day off with a kid-friendly, free film at the Alamo Drafthouse or count down to Noon Year's Eve at the Round Rock Public Library. If you're looking for a family-friendly New Year's Eve party, consider the festivities going on at the Barton Creek Resort in Austin or Mel's Lone Star Lanes in Georgetown. The biggest party will no doubt be Austin's New Year at Auditorium Shores, which features live music, fun activities and a spectacular fireworks show!
Check out our favorite New Year's Eve 2014 events in Austin:
- Austin's New Year- Ring in the New Year with your fellow Austinites at Auditorium Shores! Austin's New Year is a family-friendly, alcohol free event that features two stages for live music, an arts and crafts play area and local food trucks. Be sure to stick around for the grand finale fireworks show at 10 pm. Austin's New Year kicks off at 5pm and is FREE for everyone!
- Alamo Drafthouse Kid's Camp- Start off your New Year's Eve celebrations by taking the whole family to the Alamo Drafthouse for a FREE showing of kid-friendly films. The Alamo Drafthouse Slaughter Lane, Lakeline and Village locations will be showing Kid's Camp films at 10 am on December 31st. Catch favorites like Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Adventures of TinTin and Hugo.
- Barton Creek Resort New Year's Magical Eve and Kid's Party- Kids and adults alike will enjoy the festivities held at the Barton Creek Resort. Adults can sit down to an elegant dinner with Texas-style favorites from 6 to 9 pm. In the meantime, the kids will have a blast playing laser tag and video games, ice skating, and so much more! Dinner is included and the event is open to kids ages 5-15. Reservations are required, so please call 512-329-4009 for the kid's party and 512-329-7906 for the Magical Eve dinner.
- Bob Schneider's Lucky 13 New Year's Eve Party- Celebrate the New Year with Austin original artist Bob Schneider. Schneider is an award-winning musician and regular fixture on the Austin music scene. Fans will enjoy his live performance of his latest album, Burden of Proof. His concert will be held at the Paramount Theater at 9 pm.
- Broken Spoke 50th New Year's Eve Dance- Come out to Austin's oldest dancehall to welcome the New Year with a night of live music and dancing. Enjoy Texas supper favorites in the restaurant before the party really kicks off. Dance the night away to a live performance by local artist Alvin Crow. The live music starts at 6 pm and Alvin Crow will take the stage at 9 pm.
- Esquina Tango New Year's Eve Celebration- Whether you're a tango novice or expert, everyone is welcome at this Esquina Tango celebration! Two DJs will keep you on your feet all night until the countdown at midnight. This event is BYOB, but snacks and party favors will also be available. Reserved seats are $25 each, but only a donation is requested to get in the door. The event kicks off at 8 pm.
- Lone Star Riverboats- Watch the New Year's Eve fireworks from the best seat in the house! The Lone Star Riverboats will be offering special New Year's Eve cruises on Lady Bird Lake. Take in picturesque views of the downtown Austin skyline as you float down the river. For reservations, call (512) 327-1388.
- New Year's Eve Family Celebration at the Lost Pines Resort- Make this December 31st extra special by booking a stay at the Hyatt Lost Pines Resort in Bastrop. Accomodations include access to a fun-filled carnival complete with games, a carousel and Ferris wheel, live music, dancing and bounce houses. The evening concludes with a fireworks display and champagne toast. Also, start the New Year off right with a delicious breakfast the morning after. Hotel reservations are required.
- New Year's Eve Overnighter- All kids are welcome to this New Year's Eve lock-in at the YMCA. Both the Round Rock and Cedar Park YMCA locations will be hosting overnighters. Interactive games and fun-filled activities will be going on all night long and children will receive dinner and breakfast as well. Registration forms can be found online for both locations.
- Noon Year's Eve Party- Head out to the Round Rock Public Library for a unique New Year's celebration. Kids ages 3 and up can participate in fun crafts, enjoy a short film and countdown to noon. The festivities start at 11:30 am.
- Mel's Lone Start Lanes- Spend New Year's Eve bowling in Georgetown at Mel's Lone Star Lanes. The family celebration kicks off at 5:30 pm with cosmic bowling, a pizza/pasta buffet, karaoke and a champagne toast at 7pm. The night continues at 9pm with the Strikin' New Year's Eve Party with all you can bowl, party favors and a champagne toast at midnight.
- New Year's Eve with The Eggmen- Watch the sun set on 2013 and enjoy a live music celebration at The Oasis on Lake Travis. A special New Year's Eve menu will be available for diners as well. The Eggmen, a Beatles cover band, will be performing a family-friendly show at 5 pm and a second show at 9 pm.
- New Year's Eve Ball at Pinballz Arcade- Celebrate New Year's Eve and Noon Year's Eve at Pinballz Arcade. Kids 12 and under can enjoy their own special celebration from 10:30 am to 12 pm with games, snacks and a balloon drop at noon. The real party kicks off at 9 pm with 80s tunes, games and a midnight champagne toast. Pinballz Members will have access to a special VIP party as well.
- Willie Nelson & Friends Family New Year- Welcome 2014 with a special performance by Austin favorite Willie Nelson. Artists Delbert McClinton and Glen Clark will be joining Willie at Austin City Limits Live with a special appearance by Father Time Texas. The evening culminates in a special champagne toast. The show starts at 9 pm (Doors open at 7:30 pm).
Celebrate the first day of 2014 at one of these unique events happening January 1st:
- Commitment Day- Start your New Year off right by committing to your New Year's resolutions with a 5K Run or Walk in downtown Austin. The course begins at the Palmer Events Center and winds through downtown Austin and around Lady Bird Lake before coming full circle. The run starts at 10 am and everyone is welcome to register.
- New Year's Day Polar Bear Swim- Show off your daring spirit with the annual Polar Bear Swim at Barton Springs Pool. Join your fellow brave Austinites as you plunge into the waters of Barton Springs, where the water is always a balmy 70 degrees. Check the Save Our Springs Alliance website for times and more information.
- Polar Bear Splash- Brave souls can travel south to Kyle to participate in their new Polar Bear Splash tradition. The event is held at the Kyle Pool and is free to everyone. The pool opens at 1 pm and the swimming starts at 1:30 pm. It's your last chance to swim before Memorial Day Weekend!
- Pflugerville Pfreeze Pflop- Take a trip down the slide into frigid water at the Scott Mentzer Pool in Pflugerville. The Pflop kicks off at 10 am and lasts until the last person takes a dip. Admission is free with a canned food item for donation.