Photo courtesy of Walter-Wilhelm on Flickr.
Austin is a great place to celebrate the new year! Finding a New Year's Eve celebration perfect for the whole family can be tough, so we've put together a list of events happening in the Austin area that are family-friendly. Start the day off early with the Noon Year's Eve festivities at Pinballz Arcade, or challenge your friends to a swim competition at the Lakeway Swim Center. Bowl right into the new year at Main Event and Mel's Lone Star Lanes. If you want to see fireworks light up the sky, head out to Austin's New Year celebration or the Hyatt Lost Pines Resort.
Ring in the New Year at one of these fun, family-friendly events in the Austin area:
- Austin’s New Year 2016- The City of Austin's New Year celebration is back this year with three stages of live music, food trucks, and fun activities. Come out to Auditorium Shores at 4 pm for this FREE event. The night wraps up with a fantastic fireworks display at 10 pm.
- Alamo Drafthouse Rockin’ New Year’s Eve Music Video Dance Party- Dance the night away to the greatest hits of 2015 at the Alamo Drafthouse. This party is 18 and up, but children over age 6 will be admitted with a parent or guardian. The event kicks off at 9:45 pm, with a final countdown to the New Year at midnight! The party continues with even more dance hits to celebrate the first moments of 2016. This event is only held at the Ritz location, so be sure to purchase tickets early.
- Barton Creek Resort “Countdown Around the World”- Open to ages 4 to 13, this party is perfect for the little ones in your family as they count down to midnight across the globe. Kids can enjoy fun New Year’s Eve-themed activities, a dinner buffet and toast at midnight! The dinner starts at 6 pm and the party kicks off at 7pm. Reservations are required.
- Barton Creek Resort New Year’s Magical Eve- Enjoy an adults-only party at the Barton Creek Resort while the kids have their fun. This celebration features a prix fixe menu, casino games and dancing through the night. Ring in the New Year with a sparkling toast at midnight. Reservations are required.
- Broken Spoke New Year’s Eve- This New Year’s Eve celebration at the Broken Spoke is a night of dancing to live music at Austin’s oldest dancehall. Come out early and dine at the restaurant before taking a whirl on the dance floor to Alvin Crow. The dancing starts at 9:15pm and continues into 2016. This event fills up fast, so purchase your tickets early!
- Hyatt Lost Pines Resort New Year’s Eve Jamboree- This family-friendly event in Bastrop has it all! Start the night off with a Texas-sized buffet before checking out the carnival, complete with a Ferris wheel, dancing, wagon rides, and many more activities. Celebrate the New Year with a fireworks display and toast at midnight.
- Main Event “Pop the Fun” Celebration- Main event offers three ways for Austinites to ring in the New Year. Come out early from 4 - 8 pm, stay late from 8 pm - 1 am, or celebrate New Year's Day from 11 am - 3 pm on January 1st. All attendees receive a card good for two hours of video game play, as well as unlimited bowling, billiards, and laser tag!
- Mel’s Lone Star Lanes 2015 New Year’s Eve- Mel's Lone Star Lanes also offers two celebrations on New Year's Eve. Mel’s 8th Annual Family Celebration kicks off from 5:30 pm - 8 pm with unlimited bowling and arcade games, as well as a full dinner buffet. Then, at 9 pm the party continues with more bowling, a dessert bar and countdown to 2015. Reservations fill up fast, so be sure to book online.
- New Year's Eve Swim Challenge- If fitness is one of your New Year's resolutions, get started early with this fun swim challenge at the Lakeway Swim Center. Challenge your friends to a swimming competition in the center's heated pool from 9 am to noon. All attendees can enjoy snacks, drinks, music, and more.
- Pinballz Arcade New Year’s Eve Ball- Pinballz Arcade begins New Year's celebrations with a special "Noon Year's Eve" party just for kids 10 and under. The event starts at 10:30 am with crafts, snacks, and a special countdown to the balloon drop at noon. The New Year's Eve Ball begins at 9 pm with complimentary drinks for those 21 and up, games, and hourly prize drawings. Celebrate at midnight with a champagne toast.
- Top Golf New Year's Eve- Tee off at Top Golf this New Year's Eve for a unique celebration. Open from 9 pm - 2 am, reserve a bay for up to six people and receive New Year's Eve party favors. Upgrade to their all-inclusive package for unlimited play, snacks, drinks, and complimentary champagne.
- Willie Nelson & Family New Year- Country music legend Willie Nelson is back in Austin to ring in the New Year for not one, but three nights! Willie is taking over Austin City Limits Live downtown on December 29th, 30th, and 31st! and sharing the stage with Kacey Musgraves. Doors open at 6 pm, with the show starting at 9 pm.