Original photo courtesy of Randall Chancellor.
Looking for a few ideas on how to spend this Labor Day weekend with your family? We've put together a list of our top 8 favorite things to do this Labor Day weekend in Austin. Enjoy $1 hot dogs at the last Round Rock Express baseball game of the season, or spend the day cooling off at Hawaiian Falls in Pflugerville. Did you know that Labor Day is meant to celebrate the contributions workers in America have made to the continued success of our nation? Labor Day was established as a national holiday in 1894, but was recognized as a state and local holiday at least ten years before that. Today, many Americans choose to celebrate Labor Day by enjoying a long weekend full of summer activities, and Austinites are no exception. Check out some of our favorite activities going on in Austin this Labor Day weekend:
1) Free Day of Yoga- Celebrate the 16th year of free yoga in the Austin area this Labor Day. Yoga studios across the Austin area will offer free classes throughout the day on Monday, September 1st. You can even find classes held at Barton Springs, Rollingwood Park and other local parks in the Austin area. A variety of classes for all practices and skill levels are offered. Check out the Free Day of Yoga website to view the schedule of classes and sign up for your favorites.
2) Austin TriRock- This Labor Day, downtown Austin will be the scene of the TriRock triathalon. Thousands of Austinites and visitors will swim, bike and run through the downtown area, starting and ending at the Palmer Events Center. After the race, participants and spectators can enjoy an entertaining Finish Line Festival! The race kicks off at 7 am on Monday, September 1st.
3) Round Rock Express Baseball- Bring the whole family out to the ball game at the Dell Diamond in Round Rock. The Round Rock Express minor league baseball team will be taking on the Nashville Sounds at 12 pm this Labor Day. Come hungry, since hot dogs and sodas will be sold for just $1!
4) Out of Bound Comedy Festival- Discover your new favorite comedian at the Out of Bounds Comedy Festival. New and familiar acts will be performing at various venues across the Austin area through Labor Day weekend. Check out the schedule online to find out where and when your favorite acts take the stage.
5) Float Fest 2014- Head down to San Marcos for some cool fun this Sunday (August 31) and celebrate Float Fest. Float the river with your family and friends from Cool River Ranch or Don’s Fish Camp, and then enjoy a thrilling live music concert featuring local bands. You can even camp overnight! Ticket prices start at $40. Be sure to get there early to enjoy your float down the San Marcos River.
6) Texas Longhorn Football- The University of Texas Longhorn football team kicks off their 2014 season this Labor Day weekend in Austin. This is the inaugural season for new head coach Charlie Strong and Saturday’s game against North Texas will give fans a preview of what to expect this season from the Longhorns. If you can’t attend the game, enjoy tailgating with thousands of Longhorn fans around the stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 pm.
7) Hawaiian Falls Pflugerville- Cool off with the family at the newest waterpark in Austin, Hawaiian Falls Pflugerville. Enjoy a lazy river, water slides, a wave pool and other family-friendly attractions. The Adventure Park is now open and features a ropes course, rock wall, family adventure trail and thrilling zip lines. The waterpark is only open for limited weekends now that summer is coming to an end, so be sure to come early and enjoy pfamily pfun at Hawaiian Falls.
8) Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center- Take in the beauty of native Texas wildflowers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. This Labor Day weekend, the Wildflower Center Store will be hosting a sidewalk sale with discounts on unique store merchandise. All trails and attractions will also be open for visitors to enjoy.