Photo courtesy of Lars Plougmann on Flickr.
Selling your home during the holidays can be a challenge since it's the time of year when buyers are most inactive. However, there are things you can do to show your home at its best and attract buyers. If you're selling this holiday season, use the tips below to prepare your home.
1. Work with a Reliable Agent- The holiday season often involves travel to be with family and friends. Talk to your agent about their holiday schedule. Discuss how best to handle potential showings during the holidays. Make sure you’ll be able to reach your agent, and vice versa, to avoid any miscommunications or surprise showings.
2. Deck the Halls- While you might normally bring out all the family heirlooms and religious decorations during the holidays, you should consider leaving them packed away while your home is on the market. Buyers want to imagine themselves living in your space, and family photos or overly religious decor may give the feeling that the home still belongs to someone else. Choose tasteful, conservative decor that appeals to a wide variety of sensibilities. You can also use decorations to accentuate amazing features of your home, like a garland draped around an arched entryway.
3. Make Curb Appeal a Priority- While Central Texans don’t have to worry about snow or ice in the yard, it’s still important to make your home look fantastic from the curb. This will be the first impression buyers have of your home, and you want it to be positive. Keep the driveway and walkways clear of any leaves or debris. Make sure the lawn is neatly mowed and bushes and trees are trimmed. If you choose to decorate the exterior of your home for the holidays, follow the same guidelines as the interior with simple, tasteful decor.
4. Take Amazing Photos- Since buyers do most of their searching for homes online, it’s more important than ever to have amazing photos of your home accompany your listing. Your agent should have contacts for a professional photographer who can help show your home at its best. Talk to your agent about creating a virtual tour as well.
5. Create a Welcoming Environment- With cold weather outside, buyers want to feel warm and cozy inside. Help buyers feel welcome in your home by lighting a fire. Consider putting out extra throw blankets and pillows to give the impression of a cozy space. You could also leave a special holiday treat, like hot chocolate or holiday cookies, for buyers to enjoy.
For more tips to get your home ready to hit the Austin market, check out our pages about Preparing Your Home for Photos and Showing Your Home. If you have any questions about buying or selling a home in Austin, our agents have the answers- contact us today!