Photo courtesy of Roy Niswanger on Flickr.
Watching fireworks light up the night sky is one of the most exciting ways to celebrate Independence Day. Austin locals will have plenty of opportunities to catch an exciting fireworks display this July 4th; you may be able to see some right from your own backyard! In addition to dazzling fireworks, many Austin area celebrations will offer carnival games, food, live music, and parades to celebrate the 4th of July. From Kyle to Georgetown, we've rounded up a list of fun Independence Day celebrations happening in the Austin area on July 4th.
- 39th Annual Austin Symphony July 4th Concert & Fireworks- This annual event is a must-see for any Austin local. Hosted at Auditorium Shores on the banks of Lady Bird Lake, the concert by the Austin Symphony Orchestra kicks off the event at 8:30 pm with a selection of patriotic tunes, concluding with a grand finale fireworks display around 9:30 pm. Admission is free to the public, and it's not unusual for attendees to arrive hours before dark to claim prime viewing spots and enjoy a picnic dinner. As with any Austin event, be sure to arrive early!
- Hill Country Galleria Independence Day Festival- The Hill Country Galleria shopping center in Bee Cave puts on an Independence Day celebration like no other. Starting at 4 pm, visitors can enjoy free admission and over 75 art vendors, carnival games (including water rides), delicious barbecue and festival food, a petting zoo, and live music all evening long. Wrap up a day of fun with a spectacular fireworks show around 9:45 pm.
- Wells Branch 4th Fest- Wells Branch is known for it's July 4th celebrations, and this year promises to be just as thrilling! Celebrations start with a parade through the neighborhood at 10 am, followed by fun games, activities, food vendors, and live music at Katherine Fleischer Park from 11 am - 5 pm. The park's pool will also be open with free admission all day long! Don't miss the fabulous fireworks display after dark.
- Bob Schneider's 4th of July Bash- Join Austin musician Bob Schneider for an exciting 4th of July concert. Wear your red, white, and blue and come out to enjoy a great show followed by a fantastic fireworks display. Doors open at 6:30 pm at Nutty Brown Cafe, with the show starting at 7:30 pm. Be sure to purchase tickets in advance!
- Willie Nelson's 4th of July Picnic- Willie Nelson's 4th of July celebration has returned to the Austin area after a five year absence! Hosted at the Ausitn360 Amphitheater, this larger than life event kicks off at noon with two stages and performances by over 20 artists. Performers include Eric Church, Kacey Musgraves, Merle Haggard, Asleep at the Wheel, Chris Stapleton, and David Allen Coe, to name a few. Enjoy food, drinks, and other local vendors throughout the day. The show concludes with a great performance by Willie Nelson and special fireworks display.
- Freedom 5000- Why not kick off your July 4th festivities with a little fitness? This annual 5K and Kid's K is hosted at Camp Mabry each year and is open to all runners at any level. The event benefits the Texas Military Forces Museum and Runtex Foundation. The 5K starts at 8 am, with the Kid's K to follow at 9:30 am. All racers are welcome to enjoy food, drinks, and live music after the race.
- Mueller 4th of July Celebration and Parade- While there won't be any fireworks, the Mueller neighborhood celebration is still tons of fun for all ages. Start the celebrations off right with a parade at 10 am, followed by a festival at Paggi Park with food, games, a pool party, and more!
- Red, White, and Buda- The city of Buda's annual celebration is back this year with tons of fun at Buda City Park. The event kicks off with a children's parade at 9 am. Afterward, join locals for carnival games, food, music, and more at the City Park all morning long. While the festival may end early, the celebrations don't stop until the fabulous fireworks display after dark.
- 4th of July Celebration- The city of Cedar Park has a fun-filled day of activities planned, starting with a children's parade at 10 am. The party continues at 4 pm at Elizabeth Milburn Park, with free admission and food, games, a rock wall, hamster balls, face painting, and bingo. Dance the night away to live music starting at 7:15 pm. Don't miss the dazzling fireworks display around 9 pm.
- Fire in the Sky 4th of July Celebration- Come out to Dripping Springs Ranch Park for a professional fireworks show around 9 pm. The gates to the park will open at 5 pm for this free event. Don't worry about dinner- there will be several food trucks offering delicious eats and drinks. Donations made at this event will benefit the North Hays County Fire Rescue.
- SERTOMA 4th of July Celebration- Celebrate July 4th at San Gabriel Park in Georgetown. The day starts with a parade at 11 am and lots of fun activities. Free to the public, attendees can enjoy over 60 arts and crafts vendors, over 20 food vendors, bounce houses, carnival games, and a petting zoo. Live music throughout the day will feature local musicians. After dark, the "Spectacular Fireworks Finale" goes off with a bang that thousands of Georgetown residents turn out to see each year.
- Independence Day Celebration Fireworks Show- Hosted at the Plum Creek Golf Course, the fireworks spectacle put on in Kyle is not to be missed! The celebration starts with a pre-show celebration at the golf course clubhouse with live music, food, and drinks. Locals are also welcome to attend a special Star Spangled Event held at the Hays CISD Performing Arts Center, featuring live music. At around 9:30 pm, fireworks will light up the night sky. If you can't make it to the event, find a safe spot on the street or within your neighborhood where you can see the water tower to catch the show.
- July 4th Celebration- Enjoy a day-long celebration in Lakeway! The event kicks off with an early morning parade at 8:30 am. The morning program at the Activity Center at 10:30 am features a pageant of flags, patriotic live music, and a special keynote address. The Lakeway Swim Center will be open all afternoon with special admission pricing. While there won't be a fireworks show at this event, you'll probably be able to catch a variety of fireworks from any viewpoint around Lake Travis.
- Liberty Fest- Bring the whole family, even your pets, out to this fun festival hosted by the City of Leander. Kids and adults alike will have a blast with carnival games, laser tag, and bounce houses. Bring your own cooler for a picnic or indulge in one of the festival's food vendors. Enjoy a great live performance by Granger Smith. The evening concludes with an amazing fireworks display and an encore performance by Granger Smith.
- Pflugerville Pfirecracker Pfestival- Get ready to have some 4th of July "pfun" a day early in Pflugerville. The 2015 "pfree" Pfestival will be held on Friday, July 3rd this year at Lake Pflugerville, starting at 3 pm. Two stages for live music on the north and south shores keep the party going all around the lake. Arts and crafts vendors, games, food and drink will be available throughout the festival. Attendees can even rent a kayak to take out on the lake. Don't miss the spectacular fireworks display over the water after dark.
- Frontier Days- One of the biggest July 4th celebrations in the area, this event is not to be missed! Start the morning off with a parade at 10 am before the festival opens at noon at Old Settler's Park. Thrilling festivities include pig races, hot pepper eating contest, hamster balls, obstacle course, and rubber duck race. The fabulous fireworks display launches after dark. Be sure to stick around for movies in the park, featuring the original Jurassic Park.
- Round Rock Express Red, White and Blue Weekend- Come out to the Dell Diamond Saturday and Sunday for a special launch of Independence Day fireworks. The Round Rock Express will be taking on the Nashville Sounds both nights. The game starts at 7 pm, with fireworks to follow.